Joelle Ferstenberg, 18, was found two and a half days after she disappeared from Lakeview NeuroRehabilitation Center. From this reporter's experience, under-staffing of the facility is the likely cause. This has been an ongoing problem since the former Highwatch rehabilitation hospital opened in the mid 1980's.
The following are problems that I observed directly at Lakeview Neurorehabilitation Center in Effingham, New Hampshire.
From what has been reported to me recently, the very same problems continue.
• Understaffed nearly all the time (95%)
• Patients allowed to form romantic relationships(allowed to have sex)
• Violent patients mixed with defenseless ones, who get beat up – it's almost impossible for staff to protect them.
• Patients kept longer than needed(mostly they recover despite no true therapies).
• Slow to get medical treatment for sick patients.
• Staff trained to control violent patients using the Mandt System [http://www.mandtsystem.com] Most staff think that it is ineffective to control very violent patients and dangerous to staff trying to use the method.
• Several patients have hepatitis C and HIV. Staff and other patients not adequately protected from blood-borne contamination.
• Patients absolutely do not get adequate therapy, PT, OT, counseling. In fact, their insurance companies allegedly get charged for services that were not performed.
• The physical plant is in disrepair, there are allegedly many building code violations and the facility is just plain dirty and unsanitary.